My APQ blocks are finally assembled, the sashing and nine patches have been added and I’ve just finished my first attempt at my applique block. Here’s block six on the design wall. Once I decided where each block would go, I numbered them with masking tape so I wouldn’t forget.
Here’s my applique block. If you look closely you can see it’s been machine appliqued (or maybe you can’t tell). I prefer hand applique, but often, time becomes an issue. I can machine applique this block in about 1 hour! I use Kimono silk thread on the top in a color that matches the applique (you can also use DMC Machine Embroidery Thread). I use a pre-wound 50wt. cotton bobbin in a neutral color. My needle of choice is a 70/10 Microtex. You can find a short tutorial by clicking on tutorials at the top of my blog, and then “applique”.
In order to make the basket pattern easy to print on a home computer, I have to keep the basket small enough to fit on two 8 1/2″ x 11″ pages. When I put the basket block into the quilt, I can see that it’s not quite large enough to fill the block. It looks a little empty around the block and even some creative quilting won’t be enough to fill it.
So it’s back to the design board. I’ll show you how I fixed the problem in my next APQ post. I’ll also give you the applique pattern AND talk about my border selection.
I’ll be back soon to tell you about the new addition to our family. She’s black and white with a black button spot right on her behind.